Tips for Preparing for Mohs Surgery
To help prepare you for Mohs surgery, here is an overview of surgery day and tips from the Advanced Dermasurgery Associates team.
The main thing to expect with Mohs Surgery is a full day procedure and spending most of the day waiting for slide results. As such, you should bring food to eat and something to read or entertain yourself.
Be sure to take all your regularly scheduled physician prescribed medications. If you are on blood thinners, our doctors can discuss with you the risks and benefits of taking these medications.
Note that if your wound repair following Mohs Surgery is scheduled with an outside surgical specialist, it is possible they may have advised you not to eat prior to their procedure.
Preparing for Mohs Surgery Tips
- Be sure to take all regularly scheduled medication prescribed by your other physicians (especially blood pressure medications).
- No Fish Oil, Vitamin E, Flax seed or Garlic for 1 week prior to surgery.
- Check with your physician before discontinuing: Plavix, Coumadin or Aspirin.
- We will electronically prescribe (e-prescribe) your antibiotics to your pharmacy. You may pick-up your antibiotics at the pharmacy prior to surgery but please do not start to take the antibiotics until after surgery.
- Mohs Surgery is a full day long procedure. Please plan to be here the whole day. It is recommended that you bring some form of entertainment to help pass the time. We provide portable DVD players to view movies while you are here. You may bring your own movies from home or we have a selection of movies available to view.
- You may have breakfast the day of your surgery if you will be having your wound repair done in our office. Please bring food for lunch and snacks as you may be here the whole day.
- No exercise or heavy lifting for at least 2 weeks after surgery. This will decrease tension on the wound, minimize bleeding and improve wound healing.
- We would prefer you to be staying in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for 1 week after surgery so we can assist you in case any issues arise. We have offices in Dallas, Las Colinas & Highland Village.
- Wear loose fitting comfortable clothing.
- If your wound repair is scheduled with an outside plastic surgeon, they may require you to not eat the day of the surgery. Please call their office if you have questions regarding eating the day of surgery.
- If your surgery is around the eye or nose area, we suggest you arrange for transportation to and from our office as eye swelling may result in difficulty driving yourself home. In most cases, patients can drive themselves to and from our office.
Find a Location
Find the nearest of our three convenient DFW locations.